Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Immeasurably More

God most certainly has a sense of humor and a way of timing things just perfectly.  Over a year ago, I shared some verses with our Ladies Prayer Group from church.  It was Paul's prayer for the Ephesians. 
For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom his whole family in heaven and on earth derives its name.  I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge — that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.   Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.   Eph. 3:14-21

After I read it and shared a few comments focusing mostly on the first couple verses, I remember my sweet friend, Esther, commenting about "how God truly does more then we ask or imagine."  I hadn't ever given that part of the passage much thought. 

Shortly after lunch our phone rang.  It was Les' cousin who prepares our taxes for us.  He asked if Les was home, but Les was out of town.  He decided to leave a message with me.  He asked me if I was sitting down.  I thought, "Oh great, problems with our taxes again!" 

I sat down in the chair by the table and listened to what I thought was going to be bad news.  He started out something like, "It's not often in preparing taxes that I get to share news like this, but I've checked and double checked and even consulted with a friend, and I'm sure this is correct."  He proceeded to tell me that due to some one time changes in some tax laws for 2010, we were going to be able to claim the entire adoption tax credit given to us at the time of the children's adoption.  We had only been able to claim a very small portion of that amount previously. 

I remember thinking that this was a pleasant surprise, but then when he told me the amount tears began to stream down my face.  It was immeasurably more then I ever would have dreamed or asked.

God must have been chuckling as he sent us this tax credit which enabled us to pay off almost half of our home, plus do an extensive living room remodel project. 

Ryan relaxing in our new living room.
Linking up with:

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful blessing! That last verse has always been one of my favorites. He truly does blow me away sometimes with more than I could imagine. Praising Him with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun are His surprises!? A beautiful reminder of His provision.

    ReplyDelete