Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Parenting By the Book Pt. 2

 As I stand peeling potatoes, my peaceful thoughts are interrupted by screaming in the next room.

“You’re ugly.”

“Well, you’re uglier, and I’m never going to play with you again.”

I quickly rinse my hands and put on my referee shirt. Standing between the two opposing parties, I try to get to the bottom of the situation. However, I’m irritated. I’ve been forced to stop what I’m doing. The children are being irrational, and it is taking too long to establish peace. Suddenly, I’m yelling too, “You kids never think about the other person. It’s all about you. Won’t you ever learn to treat each other kindly? Yelling and screaming is no way to…….”

I gulp and shut my mouth. The children look at me with huge eyes as I realize I’m acting just like them. I’m certainly not being an example of what I was saying.

Finish reading Part 2 of Parenting by The Book at Raising Arrows.  It's all about teaching by example.

Image: Vlado / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

No comments:

Post a Comment