Monday, April 9, 2012

Money Saving Monday

Money Saving Tips for the week:

1.  Hang Laundry Outside to Dry.  I shared previously how I hang my clothes on a line in our basement to finish drying clothing during the winter months.  Well, now that spring is here, I hang my laundry outside.  This may seem a little strange, but I do enjoy it.  There is something fulfilling to me about seeing the clothes hung neatly on the line, and I love the smell of line dried clothes.  Then there is the added plus that the sunshine and Kansas wind are free.  I don't have to pay a cent for drying my laundry.  However, time is a factor for me, so I've learned to not spend my time hanging out all the socks and underwear.    I wash socks and underwear twice a week.  That means each time I wash them I would be hanging out 54 to 72 individual socks and 27 to 36 pair of underwear (providing everyone changes like they should).   It just takes too much time.  Those go in the dryer.



2.  Make your own Laundry Detergent.  I used a recipe for liquid laundry detergent off of the Duggar family website.  I've been using it for over a month now, and I feel like my clothes are getting clean.  I have extremely sensitive skin, and I've been able to use this homemade soap with absolutely no trouble.  Previously I was spending about $11 a bottle to buy free and clear detergent as I cannot tolerate dyes and perfumes.  It cost my about $10 to buy all the ingredients for the homemade soap, and I have enough for at least three batches.  So far I haven't even used up half of my first batch.  I've been spending about $150 a year on laundry detergent.  If the homemade detergent continues to please me, I will only be spending about $12 a year.  Oh, and the homemade laundry soap is quick and easy to make.  It only took me about 20 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. I like to hang my laundry outside, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's just something refreshing and invigorating about it! :0)

      Delete