Friday, January 27, 2012

Season your own Sausage

When Alex was little his body couldn't tolerate most additives and preservatives.  Thus began my journey to making many foods from scratch.  The recipe book Whole Foods for the Whole Family put out by La Leche League International was a huge help to me.    Even though his body now tolerates these substances, we still use many of the recipes I discovered during that period of time.  Thought I would post our favorite Breakfast Sausage from this cookbook with our one added alteration.

Easy Breakfast Sausage

1/4  to 1 t sage (I use 1/2 t)
1/4 to 1/2 t marjoram (I use 1/2 t)
1/4 to 1/2 t thyme (I use 1/2 t)
1/4 to 1/2 t coriander (I use 1/2 t)
1/2 t crushed red pepper flakes (we added for extra spice)
1 t salt
1/8 t pepper
1-3 T water
1 lb ground pork

Sprinkle seasonings and water over ground meat; knead until blended.


Shape into patties or meat loaf.  Refrigerate in airtight containers for 2 or 3 days to allow flavors to blend.  (I mix it together then freeze it until I'm ready to use.)


If you plan to use the sausage immediately the spices will not be as strong.  May substitute ground beef for ground pork. ( I make it into patties for frying or I simply brown it like hamburger to make sausage gravy.)  Yield: 1 pound.

No comments:

Post a Comment