Friday, January 13, 2012

Knowing God's Word

Guest Post from my daughter, Kaytlin

"All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God my be thoroughly equipped for every good work." 2 Timothy 3:16, 17

"Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path." Psalm 119:105

"I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you." Psalm 119:11
For as long as I can remember, my family has always done family devotions in the morning. I have to admit that sometimes I wished I could skip it. Often I was just anxious to get on with the day and did not want to listen to Bible stories that I had heard countless times before. However, I am now very thankful for family devotions. Most of what I know about the Bible I learned in our family devotions, and I still continue to learn from them.


As a part of our family devotions, or "Bible Class" as we call it, Dad would often have us memorize scripture. One of my favorite sets of verses that he had us quote were the "A, B, C verses," which I still remember to this day.

Image: Stuart Miles / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
  •  "for All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." Romans 3:23
  • "Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you." Ephesians 4:32
  • "Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right." Ephesians 6:1
  • "Do everything without complaining or arguing." Philippians 2:14
  • "Every word of God is flawless; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him." Proverbs 30:5
  • "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16
  • "Greater love has no man than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13
  • "Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them." Ephesians 5:11
  • "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." Genesis 1:1
  • "Jesus answered, 'I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.'" John 14:6
  • "Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, for God has said, 'Never will I leave you. Never will I forsake you.'" Hebrews 13:5
  • "Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another--and all the more as we see the Day approaching." Hebrews 10:25
  • "My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry." James 1:19
  • "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." Hebrews 11:1
  • "Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they though best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness." Hebrews 12:10
  • "Pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:17, 18
  • "A Quick-tempered man does foolish things, and a crafty man is hated." Proverbs 14:17
  • "Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!" Philippians 4:4
  • "But Seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." Matthew 6:33
  • "Trust in the Lord with all of your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5, 6
  • "Unless the Lord builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Unless the Lord watches over the city, the watchmen stand guard in vain." Proverbs 127:1
  • "Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man, though for a good man someone might possibly dare to die." Romans 5:7
  • "Finally, brothers, Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things." Philippians 4:8
  • "Follow my eXample, as I follow the example of Christ." 1 Corinthians 11:1
  • "You have heard that it was said, 'eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also." Matthew 5:38, 39
  • "Never be lacking in Zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord." Romans 12:11

If you do not already do so, I would encourage you to start your own personal or family devotions in the morning. Work on memorizing Scripture. When we start our day out by reading God's Word, we honor him by putting him first in our daily routine. Also, it prepares us for the day. With God's Word fresh in our minds, we are better equipped to resist temptations. His Word will guide us throughout the day.

1 comment: