Friday, May 18, 2012

Is He Jealous For You?

Image: Sujin Jetkasettakorn / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

"Do not worship any other god, for the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God."  Deut. 34:14

Does the way I live my life stir up the jealousy of God?

"You adulterous people, don't you know that friendship with the world is hatred toward God?  Anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God.  Or do you think Scripture says without reason that the spirit he caused to live in us envies intensely?"  James 4:4-6

My life should be lived in submission to my Creator.  He wants my full love.  He desires my complete devotion.

"Submit yourselves, then, to God.  Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.  Come near to God and he will come near to you."    James 4:7-8a

I want to be near God.  It is my heart's desire.  I question myself.  Have I fully submitted?  I think I have.  But then this thought comes from within, "Then kneel before Him in prayer."  I suppress the thought.  It makes me uncomfortable.  I want to say little prayers as I go throughout my day.  I want to sit in my chair and talk to Him.  I want to lie in my bed at night and whisper my concerns to Him.  I don't want to kneel.  The question nags at me, "If you cannot kneel then are you in full submission?" 

"Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.  Grieve, mourn and wail.  Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom." James 4:8b-9


Why is kneeling uncomfortable for me?  The times I have knelt before God it has been out of deep distress.  I have been broken.  I have wept.  I have been vulnerable.  I have been aware of my sinful state and God's holiness, righteousness, and power. 


"Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up."  James 4:10


Pride is my issue.  I have a hard time giving up my control.  I don't like to come face to face with my failures.  However, when I have come before the Father recognizing Him for all that He is, He has brought peace to my soul.  The tears have been cleansing.  And I have walked away knowing that my heart is solely and completely His. 

"Lord, let me not stir your jealousy.  May my life be lived in full submission to you in every way.  Praising you and thanking you for the many times you lift me up.  Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment