Thursday, December 1, 2011

Fear Not

"There is no fear in love.  But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment.  The one who fears is not made perfect in love."  I John 4:18
Image: Tina Phillips / FreeDigitalPhotos.net


Parenting is difficult. There are times when our children disappoint us and make poor choices. These choices, however, make no difference in our love for them. During a confrontation with one of our boys we asked, "Why did you lie to us about this? Why didn't you come to us?" Crying he said, "I was afraid. I was afraid daddy wouldn't play with me anymore. I was afraid you wouldn't love me." As he sobbed, my husband and I immediately went to him and wrapped our arms around him assuring him of our love.

Children should feel secure in their parent's love. Growing up sometimes I feared my parent's punishments, but I didn't once think they would stop loving me. My heart hurt to think my child could doubt my love for him. But then again at this point in his life he had only been my child for four years. He had been hurt by others. Love was proclaimed to him through many mouths, and yet those people disappeared from his life. When we adopted him, we dedicated ourselves to love through all circumstances. We chose to love him as our own. Yet, this was hard for him to grasp.

Mulling this over in my mind, I realize I too have a hard time with this concept. Sometimes I wonder how my Heavenly Father can love me. I've been adopted into his family. I am co-heirs with Christ according to Rom. 8:17. Yet I have a hard time getting my mind around the thought that God loves me as his own. I am so imperfect next to His Son. Yet, God chose to love me. And praise God, his love is perfect.

I also have realized that my love often falls miserably short. Perhaps this is why my child hasn't always felt secure in my love. I'm praying God will give me a more perfect love, a love that drives out fear. (I John 4:18)

No comments:

Post a Comment