Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Quiet Time

My firstborn child, Ryan, was not good at taking his nap.  By the time he was two years old, I was hard pressed to get him to nap at all.  I had a new baby, I was exhausted, and I needed nap time even if he didn't. I began "quiet time" out of sheer desperation.  I would set a timer for one hour.  Then we would load his bed with books and a few quiet toys.  He would have to stay on his bed until the timer went off.  After a few days, this routine was  pulled off without a hitch.  Ryan didn't mind playing quietly and looking at books.  He just didn't want told he had to go to sleep.  The funny part was that more then half the time he ended up asleep.

I continued this routine with each of our children thinking that it would eventually come to an end when all the children outgrew naps.  However, this has not been the case.  Since I homeschool, I found that quiet time was the perfect time for the children to do their chapter book reading.  They look forward to this portion of the school day.  Even in the summer months when we are not doing formal schooling, we have quiet time when we are not busy with other activities.  I've also found the children get along better after they've had a little down time, and that is a big reason to continue the routine.

Alex, age 12, having quiet time.

The plus side for me is that quiet time gives me the opportunity to have my personal devotions and to take a short nap if I need it.  I find I need this period of time to recharge and be able to finish the day.  I'm a better mom if I get a little break.  For a time, I felt guilty for taking this "time out" for myself, but then I realized that whatever job one might work outside the home there are break times.  Job performance is improved when workers get a break.  Moms need a break, too.  It's a demanding job we do, so don't feel bad about incorporating a little "quiet time" into your life.  It's needed!

I'm linking up with:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment