Wednesday, October 5, 2011

My Defender

"My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense--Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world." I John 2:1-2

Image: digitalart / FreeDigitalPhotos.net


I often marvel at how my children can fight with each other and be mean and hateful to each other, but then if someone outside the family picks on one them they will defend each other to the point of throwing punches at the offending party.  Brothers and sisters are quick to defend each other.

As a mother I'm the same way with my children.  I can talk about struggles with my children and the problems they cause.  However, don't let anyone else criticize my children.  I understand what makes them tick.  I understand things from their past that might have prompted the bad behavior.  I have insight into their hearts.  Criticism of my children, I don't often take too well.  I'll defend them and stand up for them even if they were in the wrong.  I will plead their case.

Jesus knows my hearts.  He knows my weaknesses.  He understands what it is to be human.  There is no one better I could have defend me.  He will stand up for me even though I am in the wrong and plead my case before the judge.

Do you ever feel like you need a defender? Have you been in the wrong and needed someone to plead your case? I've felt much that way many days. There really isn't much excuse for my behavior. I get irritable and short with my kids and husband. I don't even have any good excuses for my behavior. If I went before a judge, I would be condemned as guilty. I'm so thankful for Jesus who speaks to the Father in my defense. I'm grateful for his sacrifice, grace, and mercy which cover my sin so that God in his righteous judgment can declare me "not guilty." 

Praising God for providing my Defender!

Linking up with:

1 comment: