Friday, September 2, 2011

Elijah Days

Some days or weeks in my case are just discouraging.  It is like there is a big stinky pile of mud in my brain, and I just want to wallow in it for awhile.  I don't like it there, really.  Yet I choose to stay.

This week has been a better week.  God is teaching me.  I'm realizing I'm suffering from burn-out in more than one area in my life.  Identifying the problem helps.

Elijah the prophet came to mind today.  Just previous to the following incident he experienced a glorious moment on Mt. Carmel.  God had shown his power over the prophets of Baal through fire.  When the people saw this they fell prostrate declaring, "The Lord--He is God, the Lord--He is God!" (I Kings 18:39)

Then in the very next chapter Elijah is fleeing for his life.  He shows strong signs of depression when he says, "I have had enough, Lord.  Take my life.  I am no better than my ancestors."  (I Kings 19:4)  He complains to the Lord telling him how zealous he had been and yet the Israelites had still rejected God.  I can hear him desperately crying out, "I am the only one left, and now they are trying to kill me too."  (I Kings 19:10).  Hmmm, that complaining part sounds like me, and he sure seems to be experiencing burn-out.



God told Elijah to stand on the mountain and wait for him to pass by.  There was a powerful wind, an earthquake, and fire.  But the Lord was not in those things.  Instead the Lord came in a quiet whisper.  The Lord gave him an answer.  (I'm thinking, I wouldn't mind an answer in an audible voice.)

The Lord told Elijah basically, "Get back to work.  You are not alone.  There are seven thousand in Israel who have not bowed to Baal." ( I Kings 19:15-18)  Yikes that's kinda blunt!  (Maybe I'd prefer he not talk right now.)

In the last couple weeks I've taken a step back from energy drainers in my life--you know the noise.  I'm starting to feel re-energized.  God needed the quiet to minister to my heart.  God is speaking to me through his Word, and honestly I don't always like what he says.  But it's time to quit wallowing and obey.  Yeah, I've had some Elijah days, but Elijah didn't stay there.  I won't either.

P.S.  And isn't it nice to know that great men like Elijah had their bad days too?

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for your honesty and openness. May the joy of the Lord by your strength.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really learning to turn off my ears to the draining noise and tune my ears into God's voice. It takes practice and being in the Word, but it is worth the effort.

    Lifting up a pray for you today!

    Lisa
    www.moretobe.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post- thanks for your transparency, and for sharing the eternal hope and joy found in Christ!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is comforting to know we are not alone in our discouragement and weariness! I pray you go forth now revitalized and ready to serve.

    ReplyDelete