Thursday, July 28, 2011

My Delight

Monday I spent a delightful day with my oldest daughter.  While driving in the car our discussion turned to spiritual matters.  As Kayt shared her heart with me, I was touched.  I wouldn't have traded our time together for anything.  Listening to her thoughts, watching her expressions, and being touched by her gentle spirit brought me joy. 

As I think back on our day, I wonder if the way I felt could be how God feels when I take time to talk to him or spend the day with him.  Does he delight over the things I share?  Does he feel pride when I show evidence of grasping spiritual issues?  Does he just sit back and enjoy the sound of my voice?  When he sees his character becoming a part of my life, does he have a sense of pride?  Does he think, "That's my child!"? 

"The Lord your God is with you, he is mighty to save.  He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing."  Zephaniah 3:17
This Old Testament verse shows God's delight over his people.  Even more, I believe God rejoices over those who willingly choose to become a part of His family under the new covenant given to us in the New Testament.
"You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.  There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.  If you belong to Christ then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise...."  (Gal. 3:26-29)

"Because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son in our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, "Abba, Father."  So you are no longer a slave, but a son; and since you are a son, God has also made you an heir."(Gal. 4:6,7)

And my soul sings within me, "Yes, yes, yes!" 


"Thank you, God, for always wanting to spend time with me.  Thank you for listening.  Thank you for understanding.  Thank you for giving me joy in my heart.  Most of all thank you for making me your child.  Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment