Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Making Fresh Salsa

Right now my house smells like salsa.  I have a big pot cooking down on the stove.  In a couple hours I'll be putting it in jars and canning it up for winter.  However, we've discovered this year that we really love fresh salsa.  So rather then opening jars of canned salsa while the tomatoes are abundant, I just quickly throw this recipe together.  Thought I would share it.  Next week I'll share my home canned salsa recipe. ( I have to admit writing these recipes down is a little hard for me.  I'm one these people who just throws stuff together.  So feel free to adjust the recipe to suit your taste.)



 
Hot Garden Salsa

6 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1 lg. onion, chopped
2 green peppers, chopped
2 garlic cloves, squeezed in a garlic press or chopped fine
5 cayenne peppers, finely chopped (can use other hot peppers)
2 T. fresh cilantro, finely chopped (or 1 tsp. dried)
1 tsp. salt

Place tomatoes in boiling water for 30-45 sec.  Remove and place in cold water.  The skins will pop right off.  Chop all ingredients and mix together.  Serve with tortilla chips.  To speed things up, I often use my food processor to chop the vegetables.  However, one has to be careful not to over-process or you end up with juice rather then chunky salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment