2 lb bag of northern beans or pinto beans
a ham hock (or the bone left from your Christmas or Thanksgiving ham)
1 T. cumin
1 t. salt
1. Rinse beans and sort out any bad ones. Place beans in bottom of the crock pot.
2. Cover with 2 or 3 inches of water.
3. Add chopped onion, ham bone, cumin, and salt. Stir.
4. Cook on high 6-8 hours. You may need to check it throughout the day and add water. (If you will be gone, put extra water in the pot. You don't want to run out of liquid as the beans soak it up. There is nothing worse then the smell of burnt beans.)
5. Remove any bone or fat from the ham bone leaving the meat in the bean soup.
6. Serve with hot cornbread.