Wednesday, July 4, 2012

A Trusting Heart

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."
Proverbs 3:5,6

Is my heart safe in His hands?  (freedigitalphotos.net)


Troy was nearly eight when he came to our home.  He had some trust issues.  He outright did not believe me when I would tell him something—but he especially didn't believe me when I said, “I love you.”  Troy had been through five foster homes in two and a half years.  On top of that he had been devastated when his own parents were unable to keep their promise to him that they would bring him back home.  In two of the foster homes, he had been told they loved him and wanted to adopt him, but then things changed.  One of them went so far as to tell him they wanted Mikey and Amber but not him.  Neither of the homes were able to keep their word because of allegations of abuse.  Troy had no confidence in people by the time we got him.  I remember telling him over and over during that first year, “I know you don't believe me.  I'm not asking you to.  But I'm asking you to give me time.  In time you will see I mean what I say.  In time you will see that I will not lie to you.”  Troy needed to get to know my character so he could trust me.

I need to know God's character so that I can trust him. 

Who is God?

 He is my Creator.
"For you created my inmost being; 
you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me were written in your book 
before one of them came to be."
Psalm 139:13-16
He knows my days.

Safe in the hands of my creator.  freedigitalphotos.net


He is All-Knowing.
"O Lord, you have searched me and you know me.
You know when I sit and when I rise;
you perceive my thoughts from afar.
You discern my going out and my lying down;
you are familiar with all my ways.
Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O Lord
You hem me in -- behind and before;
you have laid your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
too lofty for me to attain."
Psalm 139:1-6
He is present with me.

He is My Provider.
"So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?'
or 'What shall we drink?'
or 'What shall we wear?'
For the pagans run after all these things, 
and your heavenly Father knows that you need them.
But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness,
and all these things will be given to you as well."
Matthew 6:31-33
He will care for my future.

He is All-Powerful.
There was a great storm.
The disciples were frightened.
Jesus got up and said,
"Quiet!  Be still!"
The wind obeyed.
Mark 4:35-41
He has power over nature.

A man was raging with demons.
He could not be controlled.
Jesus commanded,
"Come out of this man, you evil spirit!"
The spirits fled into the pigs.
Mark 5:1-20
He has power over demons.

A woman was bleeding.
No doctor could help.
For years she has suffered.
She touches the hem of Jesus' cloak.
She is healed.
Mark 5:25-34
He has power over sickness.

A daughter is sick.
A father begs Jesus to come.
The daughter died.
Jesus said,
"Little girl, I say to you, get up!"
Praise God!
He has power over death.

"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever."
Hebrews 13:8

It is a comfort to me to know I serve an unchanging God.

Troy wrote a paragraph this year entitled My Life that he said I could share.  In it he said, "I was five when the worst thing happened to me.  I was put in foster care for two of the most hardest years of my life.  I have had seven different families.  Now that I am here, I feel safe, loved, and secure.  The biggest reason the two years were so hard is that it seemed like no one cared for or loved me.  When I thought I was loved, they would get rid of me like trash."

Troy learned he could trust us.  He had to get to know our character though.  I can trust God.  His character is proven from the past.  He keeps his word.  And he does not change.  He is the same today.  He will be the same tomorrow.  God will never reject me or get rid of me like trash.  Only I can reject him. 

For me I've found that sometimes when I've been hurt and let down by people, I take that broken trust and I associate it with God.  I know I did that last summer.  I questioned God.  I felt he had let me down.  I didn't understand what was going on, and I was even angry at him.  The Word restored my confidence and I was reminded I could continue to trust my unchanging God.  I learned to "Be Still."  (See Psalm 46)

Those who know your name will trust in you, for you, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek you.”
Psalm 9:10

The secret to trusting God is knowing God.


    

No comments:

Post a Comment