Monday, February 16, 2015

A Prayer

"Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne?..." Isa. 49:15a 

Bonding begins naturally in the womb.  It happens as an infant suckles at his mother's breast.  In the dark of the night as a fussy infant snuggles close and the smell of parent and child mingle, the bond tightens.  This process of bonding happens as naturally as we breathe.

In adoption bonding also occurs, but it begins in a different way.  It began for me with a vision and a prayer for children not yet my own.  I loved before I ever knew.  Then just as with all children the bond and love grew as we lived life together. 

In recent months we have encountered some challenges.  As I watch one of my children struggle my heart is pained.  It hurts deeply for them.  I want to protect.  I want to shelter.  The reality...I no longer can.

I cannot forget the early days.  The pain my child had gone through ripped at my very soul.  I cried out to God.  Please help my child know my love.  God heard.  God grew that love through the challenges.  He blessed us with good times and laughter.  We became a family.

Now I cry out, "Can a mother forget the child she has held and have no compassion for the child she has loved as her own?"

Photo courtesy of freedigitalphotos.net


It is impossible.  And so I beg of God, the One to whom all my children truly belong.

"Be where I cannot be.  
Be what I cannot be.  
Let my child see that you knew them before they were even formed.  
Let my child know your steadfast love.
Amen." 

2 comments:

  1. It amazes me that some mothers do not bind with their baby. How can that be? It does happen. Sad to think that it does. It is very hard to see a child struggle and not be able to help. That happens also. All we can do is PRAY and ask the LORD to have HIS complete will and way.

    GOD BLESS!!!

    Charlotte Moore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It breaks my heart when children live without the bond of love. I know it does happen. So sad. Every child deserves love. Thank you for the kind words, Charlotte.

      Delete