Thursday, February 2, 2012

Whole Grain Pancakes

I've had several comments appreciating the recipe for the Many Muffins Mix because it contains healthy whole grains.  So, I thought I would share our favorite pancake recipe.  I made these this morning for breakfast, and the kids were super excited.  Of course, that's because we usually have cold cereal.  They enjoyed the change.  I admit I'm not much of a cook come early in the morning.  But it was nice having them all say "thank you" for breakfast, so I just might have to do it more often. 

Whole Grain Pancakes
2 eggs
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup quick oats (or I chop the whole oats to a finer consistency in my blender)
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 c. canola oil
2 T sugar
2 T baking powder
1 t salt

Beat eggs with a fork until fluffy.  Then stir in remaining ingredients just until smooth.  For thinner pancakes add additional 1/2 cup of milk.   Heat griddle to 350. (I use my large non-stick griddle, but you can do these in a skillet with some oil.)   Pour batter on griddle by the 1/4 cup full.


Finish cooking pancakes as you normally would.   This recipe makes about 16-four inch pancakes.


For healthier toppings:  Try peanut butter or applesauce or yogurt.

Pancakes spread with peanut butter.  Vanilla yogurt with frozen strawberries and canned pineapple mixed in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment