Saturday, December 14, 2019

We are One

Sitting at the supper table, I reached over and ran my hand down my husband's leg.  With a twinkle in his eye he said, "Hey, whatcha doing?  That's my leg."

In our usual, often repeated, fun-loving exchange I answer back, "No, it's not.  You married me.  It's mine now."

The two youngest seated across from us exchange grimaces and exclaim, "Gross!"

We just laugh, but Kaishawn always ready for a debate takes up his father's cause, "It's not your leg, Mom."

Taking the teachable moment we share I Corinthians 7:4.


"A wife does not have the right over her own body, but her husband does.  In the same way, a husband does not have the right over his own body, but his wife does."  I Corinthians 7:4 CSB


We explain that when people are married, they are no longer two people.  They become like one person sharing all.



Kaishawn, trying to process, questions, "So that means you and daddy are the same height?"

We share in laughter at his seven year old understanding.  Gazing across the table at his sparkling blue eyes, I lock the memory up in my treasure box labeled "Cute things my children have said."

I've pulled the memory out and pondered it over this past week.  When we are married, we do become one.  As Kaishawn understood it...we look the same.  😊  This led me to thinking about Christ and his bride, the church.

One day Christ will be coming for His bride.  We are preparing for that day.   He left us His Spirit to dwell in us, to do his work in our lives, and to transform us into His image.  When the world sees the church, they should see Christ... One flesh, not belonging to themselves.  We should look the same.

As a member of Christ's church I pray the world sees Christ in me.  He touches me each day.  I can't pull away and say, "Whatcha doing?  It's my life."  No, instead I am His.  Just as in marriage we eventually become more and more like each other sometimes even starting to look alike...in life I become more and more like Jesus bearing a stronger resemblance to him each day.


"Don't you know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God?  You are not your own, for you were bought at a price.  So glorify God with your body?"  I Corinthians 6:19, 20 CSB

All Glory to Him!




No comments:

Post a Comment