Sunday, January 20, 2019

Love and Pain

Windows rattled.
The winter wind blew.
The cold seeped in.
It chilled my skin.


Fear slipped inside.
Icy fingers wrapped 'round my heart.
Its lies were whispered to my soul
as it bid me come into its hole.

Paralyzing my thoughts,
ensnaring my spirit,
it promised my heart to fill,
and it drew me in against my will.

Darkness closed in.
The cold burrowed deeper.
Shivers coursed through me.
Succumbing, I felt no strength to flee.

With captivating power
fear pulled me deep inside.
No warmth within was found.
Instead a barren prison did surround.

I shouted in pain,
beating the air with my cries.
Love had gone awry,
and I determined no more to try.

Exhaustion at last took hold.
I lay on my tear-spent bed,
with eyes swollen and drained,
my heart frozen and pained.

Then a gentle Spirit whisper
I heard through the bars of fear.
A voice call from above...
"There is no fear in love"

I roused my weary head in protest,
"Ah, Lord, but it is love that hurts!"
Love offered and not returned
has left me feeling spurned.

"Perfect love drives out fear,"
the words came softer still.
"My love must not be perfect," I cried.
"No, but mine is," he replied.

A hand outstretched
drew me nearer.
Its flesh was pierced,
bleeding a love so fierce.

Closer still...
The stripes on his back beckoned,
a reminder of love filled with pain,
and his sacrifice of shame.

Pain submitted to,
in obedience to the will of God.
Love in the offering.
Love in the suffering.

A partaking, a remembering
of the bitter affliction from the cross.
Sweet communion we share
because pain he chose to bear.

His perfect love
mended my brokenness.
It healed the hurt I once held dear,
and set me free from the fear.

Peace warmed the room,
melting the prison bars.
Fear must depart,
as His love filled my heart.

Freed from my cell
I set forth once more
to love thorough the pain,
all for the glory of His Name.


















No comments:

Post a Comment