Monday, November 2, 2015

Pizza Sauce

I have always used canned spaghetti sauce as pizza sauce for my homemade pizza.  However, it often has unnecessary additives in it unless I want to fork out more dollars.  I like to save as much as possible on groceries, so I looked for a recipe for pizza sauce that would be inexpensive to make.  I found this one that is yummy, and I only modified it slightly.  The original recipe was Kittencal's Pizza Sauce.

Pizza Sauce

3-4 Tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
2 teaspoons oregano
1/4 c. tomato paste
1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt (I thought 1 teaspoon was too much, but my husband liked it)
1 Tablespoon of sugar

In a saucepan, heat the olive oil; saute the onions, Italian seasoning, and oregano for 2-3 minutes.

Add in garlic and saute for another 2 minutes.

Add in the remaining ingredients; cook and simmer on low heat for 30-45 minutes. stirring occasionally.

This can be used immediately or refrigerate up to 5 days or you may freeze.  I found it made enough sauce for 4 medium pizzas.

Note:  Crushed tomatoes do have citric acid added to them.  Citric acid is a natural preservative.  I add vitamin C powder (citric acid) to my bread dough enhancer.  I also use lemon juice (citric acid) when canning tomatoes.  It does not seem to cause Alex any problems.  However, some people are allergic or sensitive anything citrus.  So be aware that it is in the sauce.



No comments:

Post a Comment