Thursday, December 22, 2011

To Love Their Husbands

A couple weeks ago I was thinking of various women who have been role models and teachers to me.  This has inspired me to begin a series of articles about what "older women" in the faith have taught me.  Titus 2:3-5 says,

Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good.  Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.

To Love Their Husbands.  I remember meeting Esther when I was twelve years old.  To me she was beautiful.  She often had a smile as she cheerfully worked serving those around her.  She was in her element when she had a kitchen at her disposal with lots of people to feed.   Over the years what has stood out to me about Esther though is the way she works alongside her husband.  They have farmed together, raised dogs together, and driven a mail truck together.  Whatever her husband is doing, she is there helping him or supporting him by taking care of him.


At Bible study one day Esther told the younger ladies that each day she got up and did her hair and put on her make-up because she wanted to look good for her husband.  That made an impact on me because I realized that often I only did myself up when I was going out.   I rarely did my hair nice or put on make-up for my husband at home.  What message did that send my husband?  Did it tell him that others were more important then him?
 
Esther is an example of a Titus 2 lady who teaches the younger women to love their husbands.  She taught me the importance of working with him, supporting him, caring for him, and pleasing him.  Does it work?  She's been happily married for fifty-one years.  And I'm grateful for her godly example.
Tomorrow's post will be a special recipe from Esther which is sure to delight a husband's stomach.  Don't miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment