Monday, December 13, 2010

Ornaments on a Tree

Snowflake I tatted one year.
 I went through a time when I felt jealous of those who had beautifully decorated Christmas trees.  You know -- those trees that were decorated meticulously, every ornament spaced just so, and the colors all coordinating.  The trees were so elegant and beautiful.  My little tree couldn't compare.  It was just filled with a variety of cheap little ornaments from here and there.

Christmas mouse made by an adopted Grandma.
Those were the first few years my husband and I were married.  As time went by, we gradually began collecting ornaments that were given to us by friends and family.  This year as I watched the children decorate the tree, I realized just how special it was.  The children would exclaim over and and discuss each of the ornaments as they hung them.  Such warm memories filled their hearts.

Honduran ornament from Jim & Teri Riley, missionaries.


Birdhouse from Grandma "Vada".
Now our tree is much bigger then the one we started with.  It is lovingly filled with ornaments, just as our hearts are filled with the memories connected with each one.  I gaze at the decorations and remember the family and friends that make them so meaningful.  Suddenly my tree isn't just a bunch of mismatched ornaments.  It is a like a beautiful patchwork quilt.  Each piece has a memory, and when it is all put together it literally takes your breath away.  It shows me how rich I am to have so many friends and family.  My life is filled with people who are like ornaments on a tree making it full and beautiful.

Clothespin soldier from Linda Tweedy.

Wooden man made by our oldest son, Ryan.
"I will praise you, O Lord, among the nations;  I will sing of you among the peoples.  For great is your love, reaching to the heavens; your faithfulness reaches to the skies.  Be exalted, O God, above the heavens; let your glory be over all the earth."  (Psalm 57:9-11 NIV)  I can almost hear Cory's little angel singing these words as I reflect upon the ornaments in my life.


Cory's angel from Aunt Jenni.

No comments:

Post a Comment