Thursday, September 30, 2010

Heart Treasure

According to Luke 2:51 Christ's mother, Mary, had things she treasured in her heart concerning her son. Some moments remain etched in a mother's memory for a lifetime. There are memories with our children which become treasures that cannot be stolen from our hearts.

Troy and Mikey have been playing youth football this year. We have had so much fun watching our boys do something they love. We had opportunity to order T-shirts with the boy's names and jersey numbers on them. I didn't realize at the time the orders were being made that we could order T-shirts for Les and I to wear, and I just ordered T-shirts for the boys. After seeing all the parents wearing their T-shirts at the ball game, I felt kinda bad we hadn't ordered any, but I didn't say anything about it. Troy and Mikey love wearing their T-shirts, and so I was happy.

Tuesday evening before the football game, Troy came down to the kitchen where I was washing dishes. He said, "Mom, do you think you could wear my T-shirt?" I told him I might be able to since it was a small adult size. Then he just stood there quietly for awhile. I finally asked him, "Do you want me to wear your T-shirt?" He asked tentatively, "Would you?" I promised him if it fit me, I would be proud to wear it. It didn't matter to me that he had been wearing that T-shirt all day long. In fact, I think at that point I would have worn the T-shirt even if it looked and smelled dirty.

This moment has become a treasure to me because my boy wanted me to proudly proclaim that I was his mom. This bond has been a work in progress over the past four years. The official papers have said I was his mom for three and a half years. He has called me mom since the day we picked him up, but for some reason at that moment I felt like his mom. To me I now have a little nugget of gold in my heart treasure box, and no one can take it from me.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Natasha! I read your post on Amy's blog today and had to pop over and read your story. THANK YOU! for sharing it. I'm in the middle of a foster to adopt situation at the moment and your story spoke soooooo much hope to me today.

    We had this little girl come to us on a respite placement two years ago and have fought ever since to get her back. She came at the beginning of July full time to us after a handover period.

    She is 8 and only a few weeks younger than our youngest son. Our oldest just turned 11. Thank you for sharing the struggles, the hope and God's guiding hand.

    I'll be back to read more! - Deedee (www.homeschoolblogger.com/deedeeuk)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome Deedee. It blesses me to know that God uses our story to encourage others. Praying for you and your journey. God is good and faithful!

    ReplyDelete