Monday, January 25, 2021

Wisdom: Help, I need it!

HOW TO GAIN WISDOM

Read James 1:5-8

What is God’s attitude in giving wisdom? (v. 5)


In what manner should we go about asking for wisdom? (v. 6)


Why are we told to ask for wisdom believing he will give it? (v. 6-8)


What is the anchor for our souls that keeps us from being tossed like the sea? (See Hebrews 6:17-20)





HOW THE WISE WALK...IN HUMILITY

Read James 3:13-18.

If one is wise and understanding of God’s ways, how does he live? (v. 13)


Who in the Bible is described as humble and gentle? (See Matthew 11:29)


Why does wisdom require humility?


How does bitter envy and selfish ambition contrast with humility? (v. 14-17)


What is boasting? What does boasting tend to cover up? (v. 14)


Contrast earthly wisdom with heavenly wisdom.




What do the attributes listed under Heavenly Wisdom remind you of? (See Gal. 5:22-23; Mt. 5:3-12)



HOW LIFE LOOKS WITHOUT WISDOM

Read James 4:1-3.

These verses follow directly on the heals of 3:17-18 which tell us that wisdom from above is peace-loving. Peacemakers reap a harvest of righteousness. Now James is showing us the opposite of peace.

Where do quarrels come from? (v. 1)


Why do I not have what I want? (v. 2)


When I ask God, why do I not receive? (v. 3)


What specific things in verse 3 might they be asking for? (v. 3)



HOW HUMILITY AND WISDOM GO TOGETHER

Read James 4:4-10.

I cannot be friends with both ___________________ and the __________________________.


What do I become if I choose to be a friend of the world? (v. 4)


What kind of God do I serve? (v. 5)


Why does James bring up grace right after telling me that I cannot be friends with both God and the world? (v. 6)


Why does God give grace to the humble? (v. 6)


Why does James spend so much time discussing sin and how we should deal with it? (Think back to Genesis and the first sin.) (v. 7-10)


Sin should grieve us.


When was the last time I truly grieved over my sin? (v. 8-10)


Share some examples of times God has lifted you up.


Ask for wisdom without doubt and with humility. God desires to give it to us generously. He will not find fault with us because we have to come to him. This is the relationship he desires to have with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment